Monday, September 22, 2014

Time to Clarify

I would like to make it clear to all readers of this blog that the overall purpose of the work that I am doing is to create a binder that includes the process of how to create a nonprofit corporation and the historical impact that missions has had on Guatemala from the colonial era to present day. This binder is my final project in order to receive my BA in International Studies and minor in Latin American Studies from Loyola University Chicago. I will have the tools/layout to create a nonprofit that will focus on creating connections with churches in the USA and communities in Guatemala, but IF and WHEN that happens depends on a lot more than just having the tools and a degree by the end of 2014. The legal process alone could take over nine months (and that is being optimistic) and the federal/state/legal fees alone I cannot take on at this exact moment.

With all this being said, what I will further be posting in regards to the legal process of forming a nonprofit corporation will be the basics. If you, as a reader, want to take the time like I am to learn the fine details then here is the link to Attorney Anthony Mancuso's book: Amazon  which I have been sharing throughout this blog. I am cutting down on the details because I have to essentially protect my final work that I will be submitting at the end of the semester. Plus, I do not want to be liable in some way pertaining to a nonprofit that does not even exist. I still believe that this idea for a nonprofit that helps churches in the US to connect and build long term, sustaining relationships with communities in Guatemala and then allowing those relationships to grow on their own, is needed.

Alrighty, here are the basics of Mancuso's work that I have learned:
1. Forming a corporation is the first step to obtain nonprofit status because it has to be in existence when applying for federal and state income tax exemption.
2. Mancuso provides a list of sequential steps in naming and filing the Articles of Incorporation.
3. The steps to even obtain a name is a legal process.
4. The Articles of Incorporation seem relatively simple, in my opinion- the secretary of state even provides outlines of how to meet the statutory requirements.

Thank You for Reading and God Bless

My favorite Bible verse so reposting it:

Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge Him
and He will make your paths straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment